Thursday, June 4, 2009

Hold Tight-Harlan Coben


I think it's about time to review something written by my literary boyfriend (Also known as my LBF), Harlan Coben. Call me a romantic, but his ability to write a good murder mystery had me from day one. I've found all of his books equally interesting, so I'm just going to review the first one I ever read, "Hold Tight." The story is about Mike and Tia Baye, concerned parents who decide to start monitoring the computer activity of their sixteen-year-old son, Adam. He has been acting despondent and temperamental lately, especially since the death of one of his classmates, Spencer Hill. After reviewing Adam's e-mails, his parents become increasingly worried about their son's safety. And when Adam goes missing, they refer to a series of cryptic messages that lead Mike on a wild chase around the city. I'm talking dead hookers, brutal fist fights, undercover drug clubs, hostage situations kind of wild. On the quest to find his son, Mike learns more about Spencer's death and Adam's possible involvement. I wish I could go into more detail, but I don't want to reveal all the good stuff. Let's just say, Coben will keep you guessing until the last page.
Coben has been described by a fellow mystery writer as a "modern master of the hook-and-twist." That couldn't be more accurate--my LBF knows just how to keep me coming back for more. I forsee a long literary relationship...

0 comments: