Friday, April 10, 2009

The Book of Lost Things-John Connolly

I consume books quickly. I also have a terrible memory. Those things combined ensure that I’ve read a lot of books that I can't remember. Every so often though, I’m lucky enough to read a book that, upon finishing it, I know with total certainty will stay with me for a long time. The Book of Lost Things is just such a book.

Set in the beginning days of WWII, twelve year old David is consumed with mourning his recently dead mother. To make matters worse, his father remarries and relocates the family to his new wife’s old English country house. David spends most of his time in his attic bedroom, ignored and ignoring his new baby brother. Feeling so alone, he takes refuge in the books lining the shelves of the attic. Imagine his surprise when the books begin to whisper to him. Of course, a magical adventure follows, complete with a new world discovered beyond the walls of the old garden.

This is honestly one of the best books I’ve ever read, and I’m quite sure it’s going to be one I read yearly. It’s sweet, poignant and sad. Though it may involve a trip to a magical kingdom, werewolves, trolls and dying kings, it brilliantly captured the loss of childhood innocence on the road to becoming an adult.

The imagery was fantastic, and I could easily see this book being turned into a film.

Oh, and here’s a little secret, just between me and you; it totally made me cry like a little girl.

0 comments: